Important Safety Information for ADVAIR DISKUS 250/50 for COPD
People with asthma who take long-acting beta2-adrenergic agonist (LABA) medicines, such as salmeterol (one of the medicines in ADVAIR DISKUS), have an increased risk of death from asthma problems (see Bolded Warning). CONTINUED BELOW
Many people with COPD periodically suffer from a marked worsening of their COPD symptoms. This can last for a few days or longer and often requires antibiotics, oral steroids, and, in some cases, hospitalization. Doctors call this an exacerbation (ig-zas-er-BAY-shun).
An exacerbation may be recognized as an increase in mucus production, cough, and shortness of breath. Other symptoms may include a change in the color or amount of sputum, fever, insomnia, and fatigue.
What causes COPD exacerbations?
COPD exacerbations are often caused by lung infections that can be either viral or bacterial.
Exacerbations may also be caused by air pollution (including smoke); allergies; or exposure to cold air, dust, or chemical fumes. For about one-third of exacerbations, the cause is unknown.
ADVAIR DISKUS 250/50 is clinically proven to help reduce the number of COPD exacerbations in people who have had an exacerbation. Learn about ADVAIR and how it may help.
Your results may vary. Ask your doctor if prescription ADVAIR DISKUS is right for you.
Approved Uses for ADVAIR DISKUS 250/50 for COPD
ADVAIR DISKUS 250/50 is approved for adults with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD),
including chronic bronchitis, emphysema, or both.
ADVAIR DISKUS is not for, and should not be used to treat, sudden, severe symptoms of COPD. ADVAIR DISKUS won’t replace a rescue inhaler. You should only take 1 inhalation of ADVAIR DISKUS twice a day. Higher doses will not provide additional benefits.
Important Safety Information for ADVAIR DISKUS® 250/50 (fluticasone propionate 250 mcg and salmeterol 50 mcg inhalation powder)
- People with asthma who take long-acting beta2-adrenergic agonist (LABA) medicines, such as salmeterol (one of the medicines in ADVAIR DISKUS), have an increased risk of death from asthma problems. It is not known whether fluticasone propionate, the other medicine in ADVAIR DISKUS, reduces the risk of death from asthma problems seen with salmeterol.
- Call your healthcare provider if breathing problems worsen over time while using ADVAIR DISKUS. You may need different treatment.
- Get emergency medical care if:
- breathing problems worsen quickly and
- you use your rescue inhaler medicine, but it does not relieve your breathing problems.
- Do not use ADVAIR DISKUS to treat sudden, severe symptoms of asthma or COPD. Always have a rescue inhaler medicine with you to treat sudden symptoms.
- Do not use ADVAIR DISKUS if you have a severe allergy to milk proteins. Ask your doctor if you are not sure.
- Do not use ADVAIR DISKUS more often than prescribed. Do not take ADVAIR DISKUS with other medicines that contain long-acting beta2-agonists for any reason. Tell your doctor about medicines you take and about all of your medical conditions.
- ADVAIR DISKUS can cause serious side effects, including:
- serious allergic reactions. Call your healthcare provider or get emergency medical care if you get any of the following symptoms of a serious allergic reaction:
- swelling of the face, mouth, and tongue
- breathing problems
- sudden breathing problems immediately after inhaling your medicine
- effects on heart
- increased blood pressure
- a fast and irregular heartbeat
- chest pain
- effects on nervous system
- reduced adrenal function (may result in loss of energy)
- changes in blood (sugar, potassium, certain types of white blood cells)
- weakened immune system and a higher chance of infections. You should avoid exposure to chickenpox and measles, and, if exposed, consult your healthcare provider without delay. Worsening of existing tuberculosis, fungal, bacterial, viral, or parasitic infections, or ocular herpes simplex may occur.
- lower bone mineral density. This may be a problem for people who already have a higher chance of low bone density (osteoporosis).
- eye problems including glaucoma and cataracts. You should have regular eye exams while using ADVAIR DISKUS.
- pneumonia. People with COPD have a higher chance of getting pneumonia. ADVAIR DISKUS may increase the chance of getting pneumonia. Call your doctor if you notice any of the following symptoms:
- increase in mucus (sputum) production
- change in mucus color
- increased cough
- increased breathing problems
- Common side effects of ADVAIR DISKUS 250/50 for COPD include:
- thrush in the mouth and throat
- throat irritation
- hoarseness and voice changes
- viral respiratory infections
- muscle and bone pain
- After each dose, rinse your mouth with water and spit the water out. Do not swallow.
Next: What Causes COPD?